Coaching and Manuscript Evaluation Services
Do you fall into any of these scenarios?
- You need to bounce ideas off someone who can corral your ideas into a project to write.
- You have an idea for a book, and you want to talk with someone who can help you develop your idea into a book project complete with writing goals to achieve.
- You are ready to write, but you need help with discipline or time management skills so that you can write and complete the book.
- You have writer’s block, and you need to talk with someone who can help you to unblock and get back to writing.
- You need feedback and/or editing of your writing.
- You need help discerning what consistent issues you have in your writing and how you can fix those issues.
- You need encouragement, a cheerleader who will aspire you to write and to FINISH your book.
If you connect with any of the above scenarios, then you could use a writing coach.
And I could be that coach for you.
Let me tell you a bit about who I am and what I can do for you.
I have been editing since 1999. My love of editing derives from my love of reading. After graduating from McNeese State University’s MFA program (Creative Writing: Fiction) in 2004, my editing clientele grew as I began to apply what I learned in school to my editing endeavors. As a published author, I know all too well of the love, struggles, joy, blocks, and moments of WHY AM I DOING THIS? that befall writers. As a teacher of media writing and my lifelong learning of the writing craft, I know the importance of getting a “good story” on the page, a story that readers will want to read and tell others about. My teaching also provides a unique touch in how I edit and what I hope clients will receive from an editing experience with me. When I edit, my goal is to present teachable moments to the writer. I don’t want to solely present the writer with a clean copy. That’s important, but even more important is providing the writer with knowledge that s/he can apply to the NEXT book. There is nothing I love more than when a return client submits a new manuscript, and I can see the growth in their writing because of lessons learned. My editorial skills do not solely rest in fiction writing. Although my editing of fiction works covers several genres (see list below), I also edit academic and scholarly works. In the past, I have performed copy editing work for a well-known and -respected scholarly journal and have worked with several clients to polish their scholarly articles, academic papers, theses, and dissertation. As a geek fan of MLA and APA and CMS, I love having a References or Works Cited section to edit!
Genres I’ve Edited
- Fiction – (not an exhaustive list) Christian, young adult, urban, street, women’s fiction, mystery, thriller, romance, romantic comedy, erotic, literary, fantasy
- Non-fiction – self-help, faith-based, memoir
- Academic – scholarly articles, academic essays, theses, dissertations (These works typically fall within one or more of the following topics: all forms of communication [spoken, written, visual, digital], rhetoric, technical communication, English, literature, identity and identity construction, and community and community building.)
You can learn more about my editing work on my Editor page.
The way in which I come to the page as an editor is the same way I come to you as a writing coach: I come as a TEACHER, an ADVOCATE for you the writer and your work.
Want to know the steps taken to work with me?
If you’re interested…
- First, you will complete this writing coach form in which you tell me about your writing journey and what kind of help you’re looking for from a writing coach.
- Once I respond to you via email, we will schedule a free 30-minute consultation (Skype/Messenger) to discuss what you wrote on the form and what exactly you need from me and what I can do for you.
- After the free consultation, I will present to you a project list of what we can do together, complete with prices.
- At this point, you will agree or disagree to continue working with me. If you agree, you will receive a contract (and a welcome packet), payment will be made, and you and I will work together for the scheduled amount of time to complete the tasks set forth on our project list.
These tasks can include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Generating and selecting idea for story
- Developing time management skills
- Unblocking writer’s block
- Providing manuscript feedback
- Assessing strengths and weaknesses in writing (to include components, such as character development, scene development, pacing, dialogue development)
- Providing resources on the writing craft
Depending on what we agree to do, our work together can be as short as one-hour of consultation to months of consultation.
If you’re interested in contacting me for a free consultation, then fill out my writing coach form, and I will get back to you within 48 hours.
Instead of one-on-one consultation, you might be looking for a manuscript evaluation.
In a manuscript evaluation, I do the following:
- First, I have you provide me with any concerns or issues or questions you have about your work so that I can give attention to these while reading.
- I then do a close reading of your manuscript, examining not only the issues you raise, but also the essential elements of your story: characters, setting, plot, conflict, and resolution. In addition, though these do fall into plot, I examine scene development and dialogue.
- Once I have completed the reading, I will write a 2- to 5-page memo of my findings and email them to you.
- After you have read the memo, you will send me a list of questions you have pertaining to the memo.
- We will then schedule a consultation (up to an hour in length on Skype or FB Messenger) to discuss the memo and your questions.
Turnaround time depends on size of book. Manuscript evaluations are done electronically. Manuscript should be in Word (.doc or .docx).
- The fee for the manuscript evaluation (what’s detailed in #s 1-5 above) is $.008 per word.
- If you would also like me to supply comments within your manuscript, then the fee is $.01 per word.
First-half of the total fee is due at the start of the evaluation. The second-half is due just prior to you receiving the memo.
All payments are made via PayPal.
If interested in a manuscript evaluation, you can email me, and I will respond within 48 hours.
NOTE: Editing, coaching, and manuscript evaluation are not guarantees that your work will be accepted by an agent or a publishing house. However, your writing WILL be stronger!